Sunday, 5 January 2014

How to: Crochet Dreads

A couple of years ago I made a photo video tutorial on how to make my style of crochet dreads. I thought I would repost it here in photo form so it can be read at your own pace.

This is not the way everyone makes their crochet synthetic dreads. This is my version of my own style. I am happy to share this as I believe everyone's dread creations come out differently despite using similar techniques.
Just remember to take your time and practise makes perfect :)

So here we go...








1. Take your back combed dread and crochet hook.
Small crochet hooks are best, I usually use a 055.mm - 1mm hook.



2. Put your crochet hook into the dread and snag a small section of hair.

3. Keep that first loop on your hook and move around the dread and snag another small section of hair. So you now have 2 loops on the hook.

4. Pull the first loop of hair through the second, leaving you again with one loop of hair on the hook.

5. Repeat this process down the dread. There is no need to be neat, just snag parts randomly on the side of the dread.

6. When you reach the end of the dread pull the final loop loose.

7. Repeat this process on the other 'side' of the dread, pulling in all the puffy parts of the hair.

8. Seal your dreads by pouring boiling water over them and leaving them to dry (outside is best). I usually repeat this step 2 or 3 times. You can use steam if you prefer.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask :)






2 comments:

  1. Not many people (that I found anyway) seem to share Their techniques so I really appreciate that You have. I make dreads for Myself at the moment but hav considered selling. If I do and I use this technique I will make sure to tag and give You credit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I don't have a problem sharing my techniques at all, I think every ones dreads come out differently when finished even when the same method is used

      Delete